Discover the Ahilya Fort
The absolutely stunning Ahilya Fort Hotel is a glorious heritage hotel ideal for exploring bustling Maheshwar. Once the residence of the Maharani Ahilyabai Holkar in the 18th-century, this wonderful property was converted to a luxury hotel in 2000. Set amongst 3 acres of courtyards, fountains and gardens that are perfect for reading or watching butterflies flutter by, this blissful place combines period character with modern facilities and amenities.
The 19 rooms are all brimming with character and are set in six buildings of the 18th century and contain everything you need for a comfortable stay. Enjoy an alfresco breakfast under the mandap sit out (canopy) overlooking the Narmada river below or in the garden cottage. In the evening, enjoy an apéritif followed by a traditional thaali dinner of regional specialities, drawn from recipes from the royal kitchens of India and made with organic produce from the hotel gardens.
Animal lovers will delight in the menagerie with its bunnies, ducks, and goats, while dog lovers can have the company of the hotel’s grumble of pugs. There is also a large swimming pool, a petanque court, where the game is played with 18th-century cannonballs and a treatment room where you can enjoy a traditional nimadi massage.
Things to do at the Ahilya Fort:
- Discover the ancient Baneshwar Temple dating back to the 9th or 10th centuries that showcases an ancient building technique that protects temples from the currents of water.
- Maheshwar is full of celebrations and festivals, including Nag Panchami, Gudi Padava, Teez and the annual Mahaamrityunjaya Rath Yaatraa celebrating the welfare of humanity.
- Visit the ghats in the evening to witness the daily prayer ceremonies.
- Head to the street markets for handwoven silk and cotton Maheshwari sarees as souvenirs.
Ahilya Fort Hotel Facilities:
- Extensive gardens
- Organic house garden and farm
- Menagerie with bunnies, ducks and goats
- Petanque court
- Swimming pool
Ahilya Fort Room Facilities:
The rooms at the Ahilya Fort are full of character and include:
- Air conditioning
- Balcony or garden
- Interconnecting rooms available
Staying at the Ahilya Fort
At Authentic India Tours, our ATOL and ABTA protected tailor-made holidays are designed to meet your exact requirements. If you would like to stay at the Ahilya Fort or extend your stay as part of your tour please let us know.