We've teamed up with our friends at the Spice Village in Periyar, Kerala to bring you our top ten of South Indian recipes.
Warming curries, spicy soups and tangy chutneys - we show you how to bring the magical world of aromatic South Indian food to your table in easy steps.
Play around with the sumptuous spices to turn up the heat or achieve a more mellow meal.
(A thick soup with Pumpkin and Coconut milk)
1. Peel the pumpkin and cut it into cubes.
2. Boil it with chopped ginger, garlic, curry leaf, green chili, turmeric powder and salt.
3. Cook the pumpkin till it mashed well or to a puree form.
4. Add the coconut milk and check the seasoning. Serve hot.
(Mild Chicken starter flavored with cardamom powder)
1. Clean & cut the chicken into small boneless cubes. Chop ginger, green chilies and coriander leaves.
2. Marinade the chicken pieces with all the ingredients in a bowl except the coconut oil. Combine well and keep it for 10 minutes.
3. Skewer the chicken on bamboo skewers. Heat the coconut oil in a pan and grill the skewers.
4. Serve hot with a salad.
(A rich Kerala specialty Chicken preparation highly flavored with pepper)
1. Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and add whole cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, sliced onions, garlic, ginger, green chilli & curry leaves.
2. Sauté those well till the onions change to dark brown in colour.
3. Add the turmeric, chilli, coriander and garam masala powders. Sauté them for a minute and add the slices of tomatoes and salt.
4. Cook well until the tomatoes get mashed and till the oil leaves from the gravy.
5. Then add the cuts of chicken and mix it well. Cook on a slow fire till the meat is tender.
6. Add the crushed fresh pepper and coconut milk; cook till it dries up.
7. Finish with fennel powder and serve hot
(Mild preparation of Fish infused in coconut milk with turmeric)
1. Heat the coconut oil in a pan and add fenugreek seeds. Add onion, garlic, ginger, green chili, curry leaves and sauté till transparent.
2. Add turmeric powder, salt and fish cubes. Add some water cook in a slow fire for 10 minutes.
3. Add the coconut milk, lemon juice and tomato slices. Do not allow it boil after adding the coconut milk.
4. Serve hot garnished with curry leaves.
1. Heat oil in a pan & add crushed garlic, ginger, whole red chilli, shallots, peppercorns and fennel.
2. When it turns golden brown in colour, add sliced onion, coconut flakes, curry leaves & sauté till transparent.
3. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.
4. Sauté for a minute, add the cuts of aubergine and stir well.
5. Check the seasoning and serve hot.
(A traditional dish of Kerala with raw banana, coconut and yogurt)
Grind together the grated coconut, cumin seeds to a fine paste, by adding very little water and keep it aside.
Peel and cut the raw banana into cubes. Cook the raw banana with onion, curry leaves, green chilli, ginger, salt, and turmeric powder adding very little water in a heavy-bottomed vessel.
When cooked add the fine paste of coconut and cook for a minute.
Remove from fire and add the yoghurt and finish with tempering.
Heat the oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds, allow cracking.
Add sliced shallots, dry red chilli & curry leaves. Sauté it till shallots turns brown.
Mix with curry and serve hot
(Assorted Vegetables in local style with spices and coconut)
1. Cut the vegetables into small cubes.
2. Heat the oil in the pan, crackle the mustard seeds and add red chilli.
3. Add and sauté the chopped onions, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chilli till light brown color.
4. Add turmeric powder, gram masala and chopped tomatoes.
5. Saute for 2 minutes and add the paste of coconut with shallots, curry leaves, cumin and fennel seeds.
6. Add the vegetables with water and salt. When the vegetables are cooked, add the coconut milk and simmer for few seconds.
7. Garnish with curry leaves
(Assorted Vegetables cooked with coconut and cardamoms)
1. Cut the vegetables into small cubes. Heat the oil in the pan and add the cardamoms, chopped ginger, garlic, green chilli, onion and curry leaves and sauté well.
2. When the onion becomes soft, add turmeric powder and the coconut paste with cardamoms, shallots and curry leaves.
3. Add the vegetables with water and salt. When the vegetables are cooked, add the coconut milk and simmer for few seconds.
4. Garnish with curry leaves.
(A dry preparation of Beetroot with spices and tapioca)
1. Clean and grate the beetroot; clean & par boil the tapioca and grate it. Keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan & add chopped shallots, ginger, and green chilli and curry leaves. Sauté till golden brown in colour, add the grated beetroot, salt and cook for some time.
3. Add the grated tapioca and finish with pepper powder.
4. Cool and shape it to small round patties.
5. Grill it to light brown colour before serving. Serve hot with chutney.
Make a fine paste out of it in the grinder or blender with the salt. Serve cold.