Philipkutty’s Farm is set on a beautiful farm island, which was reclaimed from the backwaters of Lake Vembanad in the early 1950’s. The working farm, which practices sustainable/organic methods of farming, is two metres below the lake level and produces coconut, banana, fruit and vegetables.
Staying at Philipkutty’s Farm is an excellent opportunity to enjoy the real Keralan experience in a fascinating waterfront location, with a caring family to look after you.
Things to do:
- Explore the farm and learn about local agriculture
- Bird watching
- Take a cruise on the backwaters
- Visit the Ayurvedic Centre opposite the property for a consultation
- Take part in a yoga session
- Try fishing. Guests may enjoy watching and participating in hauling up the catch in the evenings with the traditional Chinese fishing nets
- Enjoy a bike ride
- Learn how to cook with an authentic cooking demonstration
- Visit local temples and churches
- Thatched pavilion on stilts, overlooking the farm with views of the backwaters
- Dining room. Meals are served communally, either in the family dining room or outdoors in the thatched pavilion.
All the villas are spacious, independent and located on the outer dyke facing the peaceful backwaters. The villas are named after popular local flowering plants, trees and birds. The first villa is open plan while the other villas have a separate living room, bedroom and ‘sit-out’.
The villas are furnished with antiques, including some beautifully carved and crafted doors and windows. All villas include:
- Private bathroom
- Porch area
- Refrigerator and an electric kettle with tea and coffee making provisions
- Writing table, and chair, settees, and chairs in the ‘sit-out’.
- Extra beds are available if needed
- All windows are netted to check the entry of insects.