Spice Village Resort, Periyar
The Spice Village is every nature and wildlife enthusiast’s paradise. Located in the picturesque hills of Thekkady the stunning location offers endless varieties of wildlife from birds, fish and mammals not to mention the many varieties of plants and trees that adorn the landscape.
Designed like a village, the Spice Village is sympathetic to and inspired by the culture of the Mannan Tribe. Using local materials all accommodation have thatched roofs using elephant grass, perfect for keeping the temperature cool and allowing you to embrace your natural surroundings. Choose from a Private Garden Villa or Spice Garden Cottage where these natural cottages decorated with upcycled furniture provide every modern amenity needed without imposing on the “nature” aspect behind the design of this village.
The Spice Village is a truly wonderful place to recharge your batteries, learn about the natural wildlife, enjoy expertly prepared organic food and experience the amazing hospitality on offer.
Dining at the Spice Village
Spice Village boasts its own vegetable garden which is maintained by local farmers providing fresh organic produce for the guests to enjoy. The dining options on offer at Spice Village include:
- 50 mile diet – All the food served is sourced within 50 miles of the resort offering not only a fine dining experience but one that is beneficial to the locals and the environment reducing the transportation of goods.
- The Woodhouse Bar, named after a former ranger and offering fine wines and its famous billiards table.
- Tamarind Restaurant – a multi cuisine buffet restaurant offering a wonderful selection of freshly cooked food with outdoor seating.
Things to do at the Spice Village
- Treks through The Periyar Tiger Reserve led by local tribal communities
- Raft crossing of the lake
- Cookery demonstrations with lessons about spices
- Paper making centre visits where you can learn how to make paper using waste from the resort
- Instrumental and dance performances
- Bird watching
- Interpretation Centre – offering nature enthusiasts information about Periyar from locals
- Programme of activities for adults and children
Spice Village Resort Facilities
- Massage and therapies (at an extra charge)
- Sporting activities
- Swimming pool
- Free Wifi
- Gift shop selling local traditional crafts and gifts
- Cultural centre with evening performances
- All rooms are en-suite
- Tea/coffee maker
- Hair dryer
- Bottled water
- Mini Bar (at an extra charge)