Discover Ooty, Tamil Nadu
Merging Indian bustle with Hindu temples and charming gardens Ooty, also known as the “Queen of Hill Stations” is a popular hill resort located in the Nilgiri Hills (Blue Mountains) region of South India. Established in the 19th Century as headquarters for the Madras government the picturesque location was given the nickname “Snooty Ooty”. With its rolling hills, tea gardens and scenery lined with trees and views described as similar in looks to the English countryside, A must for any visit to Ooty is a trip on the ‘Toy Train’,
Things to do in Ooty, Tamil Nadu
- Top of thelist has to be the Nilgiri Mountain Railway- Set in the Nilgiri mountains, Ooty’s train line has become a popular tourist spot for visitor to enjoy Ooty through a different light. The biggest attraction for the many tourists visiting the railway is the famous “Toy Train” which travels from Ooty to Mettupalayam. From your seat, you can enjoy the beautiful scenery including the tea and coffee plantations
- Visit the birthplace of snooker at the Ooty Colonial Club but be prepared a dress code applies.
- Upper Bhavani Lake. Sheltered by the surrounding hills, the Upper Bhavani Lake is considered to be a sight to remember for its stunning views. Enjoy its full beauty by taking a walk and soaking up the ambience of the area. We advise that you take a picnic and enjoy nature at its finest.
- The Emerald Lake is highly recommended for anyone looking to experience natural beauty in Southern India. The emerald water is a tranquil sight and makes it the perfect spot to sit down and relax.
- Enjoy a boat ride across the Pykara Lake which has wonderful waterfalls. The surrounding area is picturesque and is perfect if you want to get away from the bustle towns.
- Avalanche Lake- set in the rolling landscape, the Avalanche Lake exudes its natural beauty. The area has plenty to do. Why not try your hand at fishing for trout? The lake has fishing rod and other accessories which are perfect for those who dare to have a go. The area is also perfect for taking a trek in Upper Bhavani and being at one with nature. The Lake is also perfect for spending a night under the stars in your own tent whilst enjoying nature at its finest, or if you enjoy spending time on the water, why not do some rafting?
- Ooty Market- soak up the Indian food culture by visiting Ooty’s market where you can find lots of local produce to buy. Try some new fruit or local delicacies which are native to the area.
- St Stephen’s Church- With a beautiful interior, it is no surprise that tourists love to visit St Stephen’s Church. The beauty that this church exudes makes it a must when visiting Ooty. The exterior is also mesmerising making a beautiful place to photograph and show your family.
- Botanical Gardens – designed by William Graham McIvor, the Botanical Gardens is gorgeous setting to get relax and get lost in its beauty. Set in 22 hectacres, the gardens have a wide variety of exotic and rare flora which makes it a great attraction with amazing picture opportunities. The well maintained luscious lawns are ideal for sitting and watching the world go by, or sit under one of the many trees which will provide shade for a perfect picnic.
- Rose Garden- Take a relaxing stroll through this picturesque garden which are filled with mesmerizing rose beds. The garden has over 2,500 varieties of rose which makes it great place to sit and absorb your surroundings. This garden was set up in 1995 to commemorate 100th Flower Show which was held in the Botanical Garden, providing that it is worth a visit.
- Mudumalai National Park- The Mudumalai National Park is full of exciting wildlife including elephants, bison and deer. With regular safari tours of the park, you will be able to get guided through the park with an expert
The best way to see Ooty, Tamil Nadu
If you would like to visit Ooty, why not take a look at one of our wonderful ATOL and ABTA protected holidays? Please remember all our private tours are designed to meet your exact requirements, and the tours mentioned are just examples to help inspire you. Contact our travel experts on 01792 315499 or email email@example.com for more information.