We love to hear our client’s travel tales, so it was great to find out all about Amy’s Kerala tour in September 2019.
Amy’s Kerala Tour
As a photographer, the stunning scenery of South India has always appealed to me. I chose Authentic India Tours as I could create my own itinerary for Kerala to fit in with a very short timescale, and wanted an adventure with ABTA protection.
I stayed in some incredible hotels, which had generously sized rooms, great facilities and friendly welcomes. The Xandari Harbour in Fort Kochi had an amazing waterfront setting, the Amber Dale in Munnar offered spectacular mountain views, and I loved the staff at Greenwoods in Periyar. The Zuri in Kumarakom was the perfect place to unwind by watching the amazing sunset.
I loved all of the activities, which included:
- The sunset cruise and Kathakali dance performance in Fort Kochi
- Spotting sambar deer, bison, cormorants, monkeys and tortoises by boat at Periyar National Park
- Fascinating tours of spice and rubber plantations – the spice aromas were divine!
- Saree draping at Greenwoods
- The Village Life Experience in Kumarakom, where we learned about traditional crafts and trades from local villagers on the backwaters.
Visiting at the tail-end of monsoon season in late September means that everywhere is incredibly green and vibrant. This makes a great backdrop for the bright colours of buildings, fruit stalls and clothing that flash past on your travels. Kerala is so beautiful and there were many breath-taking moments
As a lover of Indian food, I was very excited about trying Keralan dishes. The layers of spicing are incredible, the ingredients are so fresh, and the range of pescetarian/vegetarian options was phenomenal. I think I tried every variety of freshly made bread available too!
- Buy an Indian sim card at the airport. It cost about £6 for the week and saves you hefty roaming charges.
- Change rupees into small notes for tipping.
- A powerbank is an alternative option for charging electricals if your adapter won’t fit the plug.
Amy’s Kerala tour was an adapted version of our Essence of Kerala Tour.
If you’re feeling inspired take a look at our wonderful range of Kerala tours and holidays or call our India specialists on 01792 315499