Discover The Elgin Hotel Darjeeling
Located at 6,000 feet in the Himalayas in the heart of Darjeeling is the glorious Elgin Hotel. Once the summer residence of the Maharaja of Cooch Behar, this 125-year-old luxury Heritage Hotel celebrates the elegance and grace of the Colonial Era.
This luxury spa hotel has been restored to its original grandeur and has a cosy and snug interior adorned with etchings, lithographs, period teak furniture and oak panelling. The accommodation has something for every guest, including a well-stocked library, spa, games room and children’s activity centre, along with many opportunities for nature walks.
There is a multitude of cuisines on offer in the wood-panelled dining room including Asian, Continental, European Indian and Italian, and a delicious light menu including snacks and drinks in the outdoor gazebo. Relax in the bar to the soft melodies of the grand piano before heading to your room to unwind.
The Elgin Darjeeling is the perfect base to explore Darjeeling. The hotel is within walking distance of the famous Darjeeling mall (High street), cafes, restaurants, bars and the Raj Bhavan (Governors House). Or venture further afield to experience the spectacular mountain scenery, pine forests and ancient monasteries of this famous destination.
Things to do at The Elgin Hotel Darjeeling:
- Sample a cup of locally grown Darjeeling tea, known as the ‘Champagne of teas’ or visit a local tea estate to see how it is produced.
- A trip on the Darjeeling Himalayan ‘Toy Train’ is an absolute must! This narrow-gauge steam train ascends slowly over 6,500 feet in 30 minutes and holds UNESCO World Heritage status.
- The views around Darjeeling are simply phenomenal. Head to Tiger Hills to see the sunrise over Mount Everest and Mount Kanchenjunga, the world’s 1st and 3rd highest peaks.
The Elgin Hotel Hotel Facilities:
- Afternoon tea lounge
- Multi-cuisine dining room
- Children’s activity centre
- Games room
- Laundry service
- Wireless internet access in the hotel lounge
- Multi-cuisine dining room
The Elgin Hotel Room Facilities:
The luxury rooms at The Elgin Hotel combine comfortable amenities with charming Victorian décor. Rooms include:
- Designer toiletries by Salveo Botanicals in all bathrooms
- Attached private bath with shower
- Bathrobes & bath slippers
- Double glazed windows with sound & heat insulation
- Electric oil radiators in all rooms
- LED Television & Satellite Television
- Electronic safe, Teak armoire
- Direct dial telephones on both sides of the beds
- Electronic door locking system by Assa Abloy
- Direct dial telephone in all bathrooms
- Free wireless internet access in all bedrooms & lounge
- Minibar in all rooms
- Complimentary tea/coffee making facilities in all rooms
Staying at The Elgin Hotel
At Authentic India Tours, our ATOL and ABTA protected tailormade holidays are designed to meet your exact requirements. If you would like to stay at The Elgin Hotel Darjeeling or extend your stay as part of your tour please let us know.