Discover The Bangala
The Bangala is a fantastic hotel located in Karaikudi in the heart of Chettinad that has been family-run for almost 100 years. As Chettinad’s first Heritage Hotel in Chettinad, you can experience true Chettinad charm, with traditional hospitality, quaint gardens, old-style furniture and extensive verandahs. However, the hotel also has all the modern amenities you need for a relaxing and revitalising stay, including a beautiful outdoor swimming pool, a gym and a massage centre where you can indulge in a treatment.
Head to the dining hall to tickle your tastebuds with authentic Chettinad cuisine, served up in dishes that have been passed down from generation to generation. If you’ve been inspired by the food, a cookery demonstration will show you how to recreate holiday recipes back at home.
Things to do at The Bangala
- Marvel at the 19th-century marble and teak mansions built out of limestone – rumour has it that the smooth texture of the walls come from an egg white polish!
- Explore Chettinad’s ornate temples that each feature an oorani, a water tank where water lilies are grown and used for holy rituals.
- Enjoy watching craftspeople making brightly coloured and patterned crafts, from traditional kandaangi cotton saris to Aathangudi tiles made by using local soil and glass plates.
- Chettinad is a delight for food lovers, with its aromatic and subtle cuisine being renowned in Tamil Nadu. Expect an abundance of spice, fresh ground masalas, sundried meat and salted vegetables. The sticky red rice pudding is a must!
- Go back in time and visit a local market or take a bullock cart ride
The Bangala Hotel Facilities
- Cooking demonstrations
- Daily yoga classes
- Dining hall
- Dry cleaning
- Free WiFi
- Laundry service
- Massage centre
- Outdoor swimming pool
The Bangala Room Facilities
Each of the 32 rooms at the Bangala is unique, but all contain modern amenities and traditional furniture. Rooms include:
- Air conditioning
- Free WiFi
Staying at The Bangala
At Authentic India Tours, our ATOL and ABTA protected tailormade holidays are designed to meet your exact requirements. If you would like to stay at the The Bangala or extend your stay as part of your tour please let us know.