Gorgeous Kalimpong is famous for its flower plantations, greenery, monasteries and stunning mountain views. This West Bengal hill station neighbours Darjeeling and is located high on a ridge overlooking the Teesta River. Its alpine forests provide an abundance of gorgeous flowering plants and beautiful orchids, which form a large part of the town’s economy.
Things to do in Kalimpong
- Take a strol. This calm destination has a refreshing climate and offers the chance to meander along on a selection of wonderful walks
- Explore the bustling markets offering a range of traditional handicrafts
- Discover the fantastic architecture which can be seen in the local monasteries and churches
- Visit Zang Dhok Palri Phodang Monastery. Kalimpong’s largest monastery was consecrated by the Dalai Lama in 1976 and is home to the rare 108 volumes of Kangyur (sacred text) he brought from Tibet. Also known as Durpin Monastery and Lava Monastery, Zang Dhok Palri Phodang Monastery offers spectacular views of the town of Kalimpong, the surrounding forest and Mount Kanchenjunga on a clear day. The monastery is famous for its beautiful paintings, majestic architecture and three-dimensional appearance, and a lovely sense of peacefulness and calm overcomes you as you enter
- Enjoy the views from the heights of Tharpa Choling Monastery. From its perch high on a hilltop, Tharpa Choling Monastery in Kalimpong is a peaceful place adorned with colourful idols of the presiding deity. Founded by Domo Geshe Rinpoche in 1912, it is one of the oldest Gelugpa monasteries in India and has been restored and refurbished many times. Venture to the top floor for amazing views over the Himalayas
The best way to see Kalimpong
If you would like to visit Kalimpong, why not take a look at one of our wonderful ATOL and ABTA protected holidays? Please remember all our private tours are designed to meet your exact requirements, and the tours mentioned are just examples to help inspire you. Contact our travel experts on 01792 315499 or email email@example.com for more information.